BUG? in configure

>From configure --help we see the option --program-suffix=SUFFIX listed.

Is it my imagination or is this totally bogus?  It's stored in
config.status so that it can be passed to configure again and it's
parsed by configure itself and stored in a variable.  And that seems to
be it.

So, what's the answer:
 (a) Hit me with a LART for being cluelessly wrong;
 (b) Remove it from configure;
 (c) Someone with plenty of aspirin modify configure so that
     --program-suffix=-beta works as expected.
?

Thanks.
--
--> Phil Pennock ; GAT d- s+:+ a22 C++(++++) UL++++/I+++/S+++/H+ P++@ L+++