Re: PATCH: (more) Re: PATCH: 3.1.5* & 3.0.5: Re: strange xterm & zsh behaviour

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> (For Drazen) Is it desirable to ALWAYS do this?  For a backgrounded shell,
> calling ioctl() on a tty device will usually result in a SIGTTOU stopping
> the process.

Just for the first interactive shell on the terminal. Background shell
doesn't fall in that category. But why should a background shell attempt
to initialize the terminal? It seems to me that background shell shouldn't
call that function. On a related matter, does subshell initialize terminal?

> (For PWS et al.) Even if it should always be done, I think it'd be a good
> idea to move this code down the point where an attempt to open /dev/tty
> might be made anyway, so that it needn't be opened and closed more than
> once.

I thought it was at that point, but diff didn't provide enough context and
I'm without sources.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.