Re: Make dependencies broken in pws-6 + latest patches

On Feb 5, 10:48am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: Make dependencies broken in pws-6 + latest patches
}
} "Bart Schaefer" wrote:
} > I've noticed previously that changes to Config/version.mk don't cause the
} > Src/version.h file to be updated.
} >
} > Now, with PWS's bashautolist patch, rebuilding with the changed zsh.h left
} > the opts[] array messed up.
}
} Me not neither.  I noticed this, too, and discovered that main.o
} wasn't being remade --- removing main.o and making should work.  This
} is because $(MAIN_OBJS) depends on Makemod, which was up to date.
}
} As for the version number, there are already explicit dependencies for
} this in Makemod.
}
}  version.h: $(sdir_top)/Config/version.mk
} 	echo '#define ZSH_VERSION "'$(VERSION)'"' > $@

OK, I think the problem is that Makemod itself isn't being rebuilt.  The
$(VERSION) is set by AC_FILE_SUBST-ing version.mk into Makemod.in.in, but
Makemod doesn't have a dependency for Makemod.in nor does Makemod.in have
one for version.mk.  Similarly, it's only sufficient for $(MAIN_OBJS) to
be dependent solely on Makemod only if Makemod depends on zsh.h.

I think somebody made the assumption that "configure" would ALWAYS be
run (manually) before running "make".

However, I'm still not sure where the right place to add those dependencies
is.  It'd be obvious to make $(MAIN_OBJS) depend on zsh.h, but really *all*
the files should depend on zsh.h, no?

And would the Makemod.in dependency on version.mk go *in* version.mk?  That
would work after the first manual reconfigure, I think, because Makefile.in
depends on Makemod.in so (I think) the whole make system would get rebuilt
upon a change to version.mk.