Re: compadd -r

On Feb 8,  1:17pm, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Re: compadd -r
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} > How about this:  For the simple case (remove the whole suffix, which I
} > suspect is the most common by far) stick with something like `-r <str>'.
} > For complex cases, let the user give the name of a user-defined function
} > that is called as a callback as if it were a ZLE widget, that is, with
} > LBUFFER and RBUFFER etc. writable, and with the keystrokes that caused
} > it to be called also available somewhere.
}
} The easiest way to do this is to add a function-pointer-variable in
} the zle module that will be called whenever zle thinks that a suffix
} should be removed. The completion module sets this variable whenever
} it needs it to the address of a function that calls the given shell
} function.

Isn't this more complicated than necessary?  Why couldn't it be the same
function pointer every time?  All it has to do is the equivalent of

	zle user-defined-widget

} This is easy to implement, but somehow I think that we probably should
} take this as an example for a more gerneral problem (calling functions
} in sub-modules from modules they depend upon), and solve that one.

Eh?  There isn't any such dependency here, is there?  The compctl module
already depends on zle, and it's calling a function in zle.

} What I'm thinking about is some kind of hook-mechanism. Giving modules
} the possibility to register functions that should be called whenever
} some event happens.

This is, in effect, what the "wrappers" already are.

} By making the description of the hooks contain a `char *name' this
} could also easily exposed to user level to let users register shell
} function to be executed when a hook is run. The builtin to control
} this could be added in a separate module, of course.

Have you finished reimplementing emacs yet?