Don't understand compadd -p (or -P) any more

I thought I'd got this worked out, so maybe it's a bug.

% _foo() { compadd -p pref/ bar rod; }
% compdef _foo foo
% foo pref/<TAB>                      # nothing
% foo <TAB>
bar rod

and the choices on the line do have the correct prefix.  In other words, if
there's a pre-existing prefix there, it doesn't recognise it.  Now it seems
-P is doing the same thing.  Has the behaviour changed in some way I don't
understand?

WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/