Re: Reading completion manual

I forgot to reply to...

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> What happens, if I use
> several compgen's with different listings (-y parameter)?

Matches with a `-y' list are put into separate groups with names that
no user will ever be able to use. When matches are listed, those
groups are always `listed', i.e. the display-list is shown. All of them.

> As most of us, I don't like the idea of conditions with side effects. But I
> don't like the Sven's suggestion of replacing conditions with shell code
> either (at least, with *THIS* code :-) Even more, as it does not solve the
> original problem - you still have to save parameters and restore them after
> that.

And here I forgot to point out that you need to restore the old values
by hand only in those places where the parameters will be used again in
the same function and not after the test just made. E.g.:

  foo() {
    if [[ ...test1... ]]; then
      IPREFIX=...; PREFIX=...;
      compgen ...
    elif [[ ...test2... ]]; then
      compgen ...
    else
      compgen ...
    fi
  }

Here you don't need to restore them (and the completion code will
automatically restore them on function exit). Only with:

  foo() {
    if [[ ...test... ]]; then
      IPREFIX=...; PREFIX=...;
      compgen ...
                     # restore needed here
    fi
    compgen ...      # or if [[ ...test... ]]; then ...; fi
  }

will you need to restore them.

Bye
 Sven