Re: Out of the box user experience

Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Bruce Stephens wrote:
> > How about sticking them in $prefix/lib/zsh/ (in suitable
> > subdirectories---maybe version-specific?), and adding a shell-set
> > parameter, ZSH_SCRIPTS or ZSH_LIB or something, so it's easy to
> > find them.
>
> This will probably happen (if someone does it).  The last thing I
> though of was two configure options, --completion-lib for where to
> install it and --completion-install=core,base,builtins,all (with a
> cumulative effect) to specify what to install.

What about Functions, Misc (and StartupFiles, for that matter)?

Specifically, what does RedHat do when they build a binary package of
zsh?  (I really ought to look, I suppose!)

I'm guessing they regard the example functions and things as
documentation, and install it into /usr/doc/zsh-$ZSH_VERSION.

Why not install the whole lot in subdirectories of
$prefix/lib/zsh/3.1.6?  Actually, I suppose that looks ugly, since the
modules get stuck there.  Maybe the modules could go into a
subdirectory too?

I suppose the scripts really ought to go into
$prefix/share/zsh/$ZSH_VERSION/*.  That would be a better division.
So the modules stay where they are, and the scripts (including
completion) get stuck in share somewhere.

I'd prefer to have them installed automatically.  I don't see the need
for optional installation of these scripts.

> The zshcompwid manual is probably not finished yet, since there are
> a few bits still in the pipeline.  I was intending to tidy it up
> when it was.

OK.

> Then there may be a separate manual for the standard functions.  Any
> existing non-completion-widget documentation is probably unlikely to
> change much unless changed forcibly.

OK.  As far as I remember, the last time I read the manual I didn't
notice anything wrong (other than features I hadn't noticed before,
and the general overwhelming complexity of it).

So I probably shouldn't spend time on checking the documentation.  If
I feel the urge, I may have a go at writing some new documentation
instead.