Re: Out of the box user experience

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Please let's NOT encourage admins to installed canned /etc/z* files.
> They very seldom accomplish what the admin thought they would, and I
> don't want to give anyone the impression that StartupFiles contains
> stuff that we believe should appear in /etc/z* -- because it
> doesn't.

I wasn't suggesting that!  I agree absolutely that administrators
should consider carefully what, if anything, should go into /etc/z*.

>  > I'm guessing they regard the example functions and things as
>  > documentation, and install it into /usr/doc/zsh-$ZSH_VERSION.
>
> Yes; `rpm -ql zsh` says:

[...]

Right, that all looks sensible.  I still like the idea of installing
scripts into $prefix/share or something, and defining a convenience
variable that points at them.

If nobody beats me to it, I may make a patch for that.  Would it be
helpful if I wrote an RPM spec file?  (I have no experience whatsoever
in doing this, but I've been reading about it recently.)