RE: Still something strange with ambiguous prefix

> > 2.
> >
> > bor@itsrm2:~> l /t/s/z/D/z*iTAB
> >
> > Yesterday it completed just to zsh.texi
>
> (globcomplete turned on, I guess.)
>
> This one again? With completeinword, no `*', and the cursor before the
> `i' it worked. With globcomplete set (as I guess you have) this is
> *correct* behavior. Correct in the sense that it always has been like
> that. And no, I don't want to change it. Compatibility and all that.
>
> Because of this I have written the `_match' completer:

We are back here again (remember, I quoted part of my ~/.zshrc in my
message).

bor@itsrm2:/tools/src/zsh-3.1.5-pws-13/Completion%> zsh -f
itsrm2% bindkey '^I' complete-word
itsrm2% fpath=($PWD/*(/))
itsrm2% . Core/compinit
itsrm2% compconf completer=_complete:_match match_original=yes
itsrm2% l /t/s/z/D/z*iTAB
itsrm2% l /tools/src/zsh-3.1.5-pws-13/Doc/zsh.info
zsh.info         zsh.info-5       zshbuiltins.1    zshoptions.1
zsh.info-1       zsh.info-6       zshbuiltins.yo   zshoptions.yo
zsh.info-10      zsh.info-7       zshcompwid.1     ztexi.yo
zsh.info-2       zsh.info-8       zshcompwid.yo
zsh.info-3       zsh.info-9       zshmisc.1
zsh.info-4       zsh.texi         zshmisc.yo

> > 3.
> >
> > bor@itsrm2:~%> l /t/s/gl/co*TAB
> > bor@itsrm2:~%> l /tools/src/glib-1.1.15/co* <= cursor here
> > glib-1.1.15/  glib-1.2.0/
> >
> > So, menu completion is started for prefix, but cursor is placed
> at the end
> > of word.
>
> Grrrr, I asked if you wanted the cursor placed in the middle of the
> word with menu-completion in message 5651 and you answered `Me not' in
> message 5657.

a) (with the same zsh as in 2)

itsrm2% l /u/l/lTAB
itsrm2% l /u/l/l
            ^ cursor here (after `/u')
u1/   usr/

May I kindly ask, what is the difference between this ang glib example?

b) Yes, I beg your pardon. But since then I actually used new completion for
some time - and it provides sometimes very different possibilities. And you
begin to think a bit differently ...

> Anyway, I don't know how I should change this easily for now. The
> problem is that the path suffix is just an ignored suffix for the
> completion code and normally one really wants to have the cursor at
> the end of the whole word with menu-completion.

That makes sense, if we complete the whole word. But what happens here -
that we actually complete just a single part of it. When I said "yes" to
your question - I implied, that a user will be presented with the complete
list (in the above example, this would mean *all* files that match gl*/co*).
Simply, because it was what compctl always did, and I was accustomed to it.
All of you said, it is "the bad thing". Now, after actually using it, I
agree.

cheers

/andrej

the patch list I have (after pws-13):