up-line-or-search not working in Zsh 3.1.5

I'm trying out Zsh 3.1.5 (which, AFAIK, is the latest version), and
have run into a bit of a problem...enough of a problem, in fact, that
I've switched back to 3.0-pre6 (you might say I've missed a few new
versions!).

Specifically, up-line-or-search doesn't seem to work in 3.1.5.  I
can switch to up-line-or-history, but it's just not the same...I
really, really like being able to type fg<UP> and get my last fgrep,
and so on.  :-)

Anyways, by ``doesn't seem to work'' I mean that all it does is beep.
With or without any text from previous commands, it just beeps.

I've grepped through the docs, FAQs, change logs, etc., and I didn't
find anything that might indicate what's going on.  So, it's e-mail
time....

Any suggestions, etc., most welcome.

Thanks,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)          |         |\      _,,,---,,_
graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |  ZZZzz  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_