Re: PATCH: was RE: PATCH: old lists compstate

On Mar 30,  2:52pm, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: RE: PATCH: was RE: PATCH: old lists compstate
}
} So question to everyone: is it important enough to add an option, say
}   `menu_in_word', that makes the cursor be left inside the word when
}   menucompletion is used and the cursor was *not* already in the word
}   before menucompletion was started?

I think moving the cursor into the word and leaving it there is only
useful if complete_in_word is modified (possibly by the same option that
moves the cursor) to work more like some emacs completion modes do; to
wit, complete to the left (ignoring the right), and if that produces an
exact match, then move to the right one unit (to the next slash, or
the next underscore or hyphen or dot or whatever for part completion)
and try again.

I'm probably not describing that fully, but you get the idea.  I can't
otherwise think of a case where it's helpful to leave the cursor to the
left of where it started.

On the other hand, treating the cursor motion the way that autoremoval
is treated might be kind of cool; that is, move it to the middle of the
word, but if any of the range of characters that trigger autoremoval is
typed, the cursor jumps back to where it was before completion started.
(I have no idea how that would work in practice; if it went wrong, it
would probably go wrong in a big way, so ...)