Re: PATCH: 3.1.5++/3.0.6 Re: Parameter substitution bug

On Apr 30, 10:14am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: PATCH: 3.1.5++/3.0.6 Re: Parameter substitution bug
}
} "Bart Schaefer" wrote:
} > Because globsubst and ${~...} only do filename *generation* not filename
} > *expansion*.  It's always been like this ... you never noticed?
}
} No, that's not the answer, and it certainly hasn't always been like this.

What am I thinking of, then?  Hmm ... back on 20aug98, I wrote in
zsh-workers/4342:

> I've just diffed the 3.0.5 multicomp against a much older one, and found
> that the original function used
>
> 	eval "reply=($reply)"
>
> where the current version uses
>
> 	reply=(${~reply})
>
> The former expands tildes, the latter does not.

and I went on to prove that black is white, and now I've just been killed
at the zebra crossing.

So when did this get broken, and how come nobody noticed seven months ago?