Re: completion in vared

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> No, I'm mostly thinking of the compctl options that have poor mnemonics,
> and particularly of -J and -V (which are begging for a bracketed-looking
> syntax).

Are you meaning something like: start-group, ..., end-group?

In the beginning we had -[JV] set the group permanently (until the
next -[JV]) which was nearer to this but then I decided against it
because in more complex compctl's (or now: completion functions) you
would always have to use it to make sure that you know which group you
are using. And with such a pair you would have to remember to reset
it. Also, to make this usable we would have to implement a kind of
stack, so that the end-group resets it to the previous group again.

> There is some advantage to having the options of the new commands be the
> same as those of compctl, but I'm not sure if it's enough to outweigh the
> opportunity to clean it up a bit.

Right, we might think about this. For me, the most important advantage
of the current implementation is that it can easily share all the
parsing code with compctl. I might be convinced to change it, though.

Bye
 Sven