Anybody watching eshell development?

There've been a flurry of postings on gnu.emacs.sources by John Wiegley
of his new "eshell" package, a shell implemented directly in elisp.  It
already has insanely complicated parameter expansion syntax and multios
with redirection to elisp variables and emacs buffers as well as files;
it executes elisp as well as external commands (and can substitute the
output as expansions), and it works relatively seamlessly with ange-ftp
so you can "cd" into remote directories and execute many commands as if
the files were local; it has what he describes as tcsh-style completion
on the tab key, with plans to extend it to auto-indent multiline input.
I haven't actually tried it yet, but wondered whether any of you have.

BTW, my home machine is back on-line, now as a RedHat 5.2 installation,
which means I've been flung violently from the libc5 world to glibc6.
I'm still attempting to recover some stuff from my trashed disk, too,
but it's not looking very good.  Anyway, I hope to be catching up with
zsh stuff by the end of the week, to get a 3.0.6-pre3 patch on the way.