Re: PATCH: add DESTDIR functionality to install

On Aug 30,  2:28pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: PATCH: add DESTDIR functionality to install
}
} Clint Adams wrote:
} > e.g. make install DESTDIR=/tmp/test-chroot
}
} I've applied this, but it doesn't look like it changes any of the internal
} variables, particularly module_path, that need to know where to find things
} (and install time is too late for that), so it's not clear to my how useful
} it actually is.

This is quite useful in a couple of cases:

(1) Installing for package manager utilities like "rpm" and "stow", which
want an image of the actual install tree in another location but need the
real path names in the internal values because they will later re-copy or
link the files into the true $(prefix) locations.

(2) Installing onto an NFS server where the path on the server is not the
same as where it will be mounted on the clients, and the internal values
need to reflect the client locations.

(3) Installing into a mirror filesystem to which a "chroot" will be done.