Re: Change of behaviour in history-search-backward ?

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> In 3.1.5 (the only old version I have here), "history-search-backward" was
> looking for the largest pattern but it has changed in 3.1.6 (I don't know
> when) and now, it is only looking for the first word.

It wasn't and it hasn't.  The actually change was mentioned as a proposal
before 3.1.6, in the documentation for 3.1.6, and in the FAQ.  For the last
time:

- history-search-backward always only searched the first word.  However, in
  earlier versions of 3.1, the logic was changed to avoid dependence on
  flags, so that it only matched complete first words (e.g. comp<ESC>p
  wouldn't find compress).  So Zefram changed the binding to
  history-beginning-search-backward, which does what you want.

- In 3.1.6, history-search-backward has been re-implemented much closer to
  its original behaviour using static variables.  So I restored the binding
  to be compatible with all versions of zsh up to 3.1.something.

- history-beginning-search-backward is still available and you need to bind
  it to \ep to get the 3.1.5 behaviour.

WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/