Independent numbers of columns for matching groups?

This may have been discussed before and I missed it, but would it be
possible to changing the group_matches code so that the number of
columns is calculated individually for each matching group?

An example of why I ask is _rpm; sometimes it offers the following
completion groups:

  - RPM packages
  - RPM package files
  - ftp prefixes

RPM packages are always long, which forces the whole output into a
long single-column list, even though the RPM package files section
could easily fit in multiple columns and save screen space.