3.1.6 issues with command-line wiping

On AIX 4.1, I'm having the following problems.  I'm in less, and I want to
do something back in the shell.  I ctrl-z to get out, and I type a command.
About half-way through the command the line wipes out (like the shell
thought the line wrapped before it was supposed to).  Command-line
completion works below the command-line as expected.  I seem to have to
type a manual "resize" to get things working again.

The symptoms seem to be that if I'm in less, and I resize the window for a
better view of a wide file, ctrl-z-ing back to the shell doesn't seem to
get the lines/columns set properly.  I've never had this problem with older
versions of Zsh.  Any ideas?

-Clint