Re: PATCH: emulate (Re: Prompt fun)

On Oct 7,  4:11pm, Zefram wrote:
} Subject: Re: PATCH: emulate (Re: Prompt fun)
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
} >resetting the prompt-expansion options will cause the
} >user's settings to display as garbage
}
} I changed them to *not* be set by emulate.

Ah, sorry, I read that hunk backwards.

} With ERR_EXIT, I was imagining that a user might set the option in a
} script (it can be quite convenient in scripts run from make), and then
} call a function that doesn't want ERR_EXIT set -- the function should
} decide for itself how to handle errors.

Hmm.  I tend to think of it exactly the opposite way -- if I set errexit,
I generally want it to continue to apply down through functions I call,
because of exactly the circumstances you note -- scripts run from make,
which uses -e when it invokes the shell.

} >} The patch quoted above is still necessary; EXTENDED_GLOB is unset
} >} by default even in zsh mode.  Would changing that break any scripts?
} >
} >Yes, it would break some of my scripts.
}
} A pity.

If emacs vc didn't have a tendency to create files with names that look
like basename~version~ it'd be less of a problem, because I already
habitually quote carats (some old Bourne shells read carat as pipe, from
the days when many keyboards lacked a vertical bar).