Re: bash-2.04 programmable completion

Sven Wischnowsky <wischnow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Just found this:
>
> > From: chet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Chet Ramey)
> > Subject: Bash-2.04 Programmable Completion message 4
> > Date: 05 Nov 1999 00:00:00 GMT
> [...]
> Two builtins `complete' and `compgen' with almost the same options,
> functions starting with underscore, -[PS] options, COMPREPLY, arrays
> holding names of stopped jobs and functions, etc.
>
> `compgen' is lightly different from what was our `compgen', it
> obviously just outputs the possible matches. But then -- the name.

I think it would be BAD if bash had a similar system to zsh. It would
create confusion and increase work if one would want to use the same
completion scripts for both shells. So we should really try to have at
least a common base. I don't know if the two systems could be totally
compatible, since probably bash doesn't implement some needed features
like assiocative arrays. If this is impossible, the bash system should
at least not look similar.

Could probably some competent person contact the bash maintainers on
this topic?

	Falk