Re: PATCH: _path_files -g

Peter Stephenson wrote:

> Completion of .dvi files has seized up because _path_files insists on using
> $fignore.  I don't think fignore or even ignored-suffixes should be used
> with an explicit glob pattern.  This is how it used to work.  You could
> work around it with ignored-suffixes, but styles are for user preferences,
> not to fix up things that should work anyway, so I think the same argument
> as for fignore applies.

Forgot to reply to this yesterday...

I'd like to ask again if we should make the completion system *not*
use $fignore any more -- everything it can do can also be done with
the ignored-suffixes style. And we have already superseeded other
parameters with styles.

Also, we could think about making this more powerful. E.g. we could
make compadd use the strings it gets with the -F option as patterns so
that we are not restricted to only suffixes (although the suffix test
is faster, of course, but we could still handle simple patterns of the
form `*<str>' in the same way we use those strings now). And we could
make those patterns be used for all types of matches and turn the
ignored-suffixes style into a ignored-strings style that is set in
_description. Would be quite simple, actually.

Bye
 Sven