Makefile target given more than once (Re: 3.1.6-dev-17)

On Feb 3,  1:11pm, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
} Subject: RE: 3.1.6-dev-17
}
} gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tools/src/zsh-3.1.6-dev-17/Doc'
} Makefile:217: target `zsh.texi' given more than once in the same rule.

Hrm.  This would appear to be gmake cleverly discovering that when $(sdir)
is ".", zsh.texi and $(sdir)/zsh.texi are the same target.

Does that actually cause the build to fail, or is it just noise?

Can we count on other "make" implementations being that clever?  I didn't
think so, but ...