RE: file-patterns problem

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> In other words - setting styles for partucular tag has a side effect of
> enabling this tag? I find it really confusing. Do not we have special tag to
> enable/disable tags (ough :-) Hmm looks, like not. The closest is
> tag-order - and if it gets slightly different name (without so much strngth
> on ``order'') - it is quite usable to say, which tags and in which order.
>
> In the case above - files and path_files should have default tags to try and
> with default patterns. If you do not want to see all files - set tag-order
> to the correct tags. If you wnat other patterns - set file-patterbs. If you
> want only particular tags with particular patterns - set both.

The problem is that user may, quite sensibly, set a global value for
tag-order to something like:

  zstyle ':completion:*' tag-order globbed-files directories all-files ...

With that every filename completion would use all three tags. it will
often be possible to ignore globbed-files (we are talking only about
cases where _files is called without an explicit -g) when there is no
corresponding file-patterns style. But it would make directories be
preferred in every filename completion -- so it would have just a
different kind of side-effect.

Because of that I still prefer the way we do it now, as long as we get
sorted out how the directories flag should be used. Which mainly
means: always if a file-pattern for globebd-files is set or not.

Bye
 Sven