Re: Questions/comments on completion code that arise from PWS's zsh guide

On Feb 24,  9:51am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Re: Questions/comments on completion code that arise from PWS's z
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} > Completing files after `=' is enabled for `dd' even if `magicequalsubst'
} > is not set -- but of course tilde-expansion doesn't happen when the
} > command is finally executed unless `magicequalsubst' IS set.
}
} Hm, right. One solution would be to add a new option to _path_files
} [...] But a better solution might to just make _path_files check [...]
} Hrm, just make _path_files add a warning to the list?

This isn't really a _path_files problem, is it?  It's the caller that
has put the `=' into IPREFIX.  I suppose it could produce a warning as
a courtesy, but it's really not _path_files job to figure out what that
equal sign means.  For all it knows, the command to which the x=y arg
is being passed is one that is able to expand the tilde internally.

Why don't we have _dd expand the tilde when magicequalsubst is not set,
and leave _path_files alone?

} > No one has ever explained adequately why accept-and-infer-next-history
} > is overloaded in menu-selection, rather than accept-and-menu-complete.
}
} I once had this idea of adding dummy widgets in the complist module,
} like menu-select-{up,down,...,accept} and so on. The problem is that I
} would also like to automatically allow users to continue using their
} bindkeys if, for example, they happen to have reverse-menu-complete on
} some key.

Hmmm ... so the issue really is that the entire notions of both "accept"
and "history" have been overloaded when menu-selection is active.  OK, I
drop the complaint for now ....