Re: move to sourceforge.net?

Bart Schaefer (schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> You can answer some questions about sourceforge that I haven't had a
> chance to investigate yet:
>
> Can the repository be made read-only except by some limited group of
> administrators?

Yes.  The CVS tree is available read-only to anyone, but project
administrators can designate certain users as developers, which gives
them write access.

http://sfdocs.sourceforge.net/sfdocs/site/project-adminusers.php says:

--------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< ---------
Site Documentation - Administering Developers for Your Project

One of the most important and powerful features of the SourceForge
Team Development Environment is web-based user administration.
As a project admin, you have complete control over developer
permissions in the bug tracker, message forums, and task manager.

At this time, all developers have write access to the CVS Repository
and to your group directory (web site). There are plans to make
these permissions optional as well.
--------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< ---------

> Can we copy over Tanaka's existing repository in its entirety, without
> losing any of the change history?  (I hope it's still available with
> cvsupd or whatever that's called; but I don't know what that's capable
> of exporting nor what sourceforge is capable of importing.)

Yep.  From the FAQ:
(https://sourceforge.net/docs/site/faq.php#whyhost-cvs)

--------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< ---------
I already have a cvs tree. Can you import it?

Yes. Register a new project normally and let us know you need to
import a CVS tree. We'll need a tar/gzip of your entire document root,
including CVSROOT directory. This will preserve your revision history.
--------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< ---------

Daily snapshots of the tree automatically become available
(http://sfdocs.sourceforge.net/sfdocs/site/cvs.php)

> Can we set up any of our own patch management tools, e.g. Tanaka's
> scripts for applying patches from the mailing list and then running
> "cvs import"?

Hmm.  I suspect that I don't entirely understand everything that's
involved in Tanaka's scripts.  cvs write access operates in the normal
way, with CVS_RSH=ssh, so I can't see anything stopping a developer
from using whichever patch management tools he wants on his machine
for grabbing patches from the list prior to committing them to the
tree on sourceforge.  However, if we're talking about a situation
where there are two repositories -- the one on sourceforge and the one
on the patch coordinator's machine -- then it looks like he wouldn't
be able to do regular cvs imports into the sourceforge tree, since the
FAQ snippet above suggests that cvs imports can only be done from
tarballs.  Was that what you had in mind?

If the mailing lists were to be moved to sourceforge too then maybe
the patch incorporation process could be made pretty slick.
Developers also have full shell access via ssh to the project account,
so I guess that integrating sourceforge's Patch Manager (which looks
pretty nice incidentally) with Tanaka's tools would be possible too.

Adam