Re: move to sourceforge.net?

"Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> You can answer some questions about sourceforge that I haven't had a
> chance to investigate yet:
>
> Can the repository be made read-only except by some limited group of
> administrators?

Yes.

> Can we copy over Tanaka's existing repository in its entirety, without
> losing any of the change history?  (I hope it's still available with
> cvsupd or whatever that's called; but I don't know what that's capable
> of exporting nor what sourceforge is capable of importing.)

Yes.  What we need is a copy of the repository (complete with
CVSROOT).  cvsup can export that.

> Can we set up any of our own patch management tools, e.g. Tanaka's
> scripts for applying patches from the mailing list and then running
> "cvs import"?

Probably negotiable.  If I've got CVS read access to the repository,
then I'd rather people checked patches directly to it (that way
they're more likely to provide meaningful RCS logs, which I'd guess
Tanaka's scripts can't?).

Then the issue is whether the core developers can use CVS over ssh,
and what to do with random people who have patches (even I provided a
tiny one, once, though it's gone long ago).  I'd guess the former is
not a problem, and that the latter can be dealt with using the patch
manager.

I could be quite wrong, though.  I have the impression that special
things like this can be negotiated; perhaps someone could ask if this
really is desirable.