Re: Completion issues

On Apr 1,  9:26pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Completion issues
}
} First, I hate the new behaviour of _complete_help.  I use it to find out
} what context I'm in.  Unfortunately I don't get to see that, because a huge
} list of style has scrolled by.

I won't say I *hate* the new behavior, but I was certainly alarmed by the
amount of style output that was generated even for something like "ls" or
"echo" that doesn't have any special handling.  "cvs <^Xh>" is horrifying.
That list-colors, list-packed, list-rows-first, last-prompt, accept-exact,
and menu appear no less than 8 times each seems a tad excessive.

} I don't think a style to turn off styles in ^Xh is good enough,
} there's too much mucking around, and you may want the style information
} anyway.  A workable alternative is that a numeric argument activates the
} style list --- this feature could be configurable by a style.

I like the numeric-argument idea.  If we wanted to get really fancy, a
number from 1-4 could denote increasingly verbose output, so that using
universal-argument would produce the full-blown listing.

I'm not convinced we'd need a style to make that configurable, though.
It's pretty straightforward to create a zle widget that sets NUMERIC and
then calls another widget.

} Second, if I understood correctly, the default behaviour for completion is
} to ignore ignored completions completely.  Thus the behaviour of $fignore
} has changed.

Unless I'm getting the wrong version of a function, it appears that this
is special-cased by _path_files so that $fignore has not changed -- but
if you use the ignored-patterns style instead, then ignored completions
really are ignored, and you need to add the _ignored completer to get
the old behavior back.

For the rest of the stuff you mentioned, I'm even more lost than you.