Re: AIX - getting dynamic modules working

The Corridor wrote:

>    1) I've tried setting $LDFLAGS in the environment and
>       running configure, but $LDFLAGS does not make it into
>       the Makefile(s).

Are you sure that you exported LDFLAGS. Try:
export LDFLAGS=whatever

This works fine for me (on AIX).

What do you actually want to put in the LDFLAGS. I use a dynamic zsh on
AIX and have never had any problems compiling it that relate to compiler
options.

>       Let me know the best way to pass in linker commands
>       to configure.

One of the best ways if you are generally using the same options is to
create a config.site shell script. This gets run by configure everytime
so lets you setup common variables. I also use it so that I keep a
single configure cache which speeds things up a lot. See the autoconf
manuals for more details.

>    2) Has anyone tried to change the zsh makefiles to use
>       libtool. If so, send me your makefiles, as this is
>       probably a better place to start.

Not that I know of and I really hope nobody does. Admittedly I haven't
looked at libtool for a few versions but the last time I did, there was
a lot that I didn't like. It seems to be primarily concerned with
allowing you to handle shared and static libraries interchangeably which
is something which I've never found to be a problem anyway. There no
attempt to use any kernel supported shared object versioning systems
used by OS's such as IRIX but it has it's own version system which
relies on a mess of symbolic links and which is fairly useless without
kernel support. It seemed to slightly miss what I considered to be the
main potential use of it - platform independence for software using
DSOs.

Oliver Kiddle