RE: Closing bugs (?)

> On Apr 4,  4:33pm, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> } Subject: Closing bugs (?)
> }
> } Sourceforge supports the `fixed' and `closed' states. Hm, do we want
> } to leave it to one of the administrators to actually close a bug or
> } should the person who fixed (or tried to fix) it do that?
> }
> } And why this distinction?

Speaking as a QA person, there is a large distinction between closed and
fixed states.

A "fixed bug" is one that the developer has entered code that he believes
fixes the problem.

A closed bug is one that's been built, and successfully survives a unit test
and system test.

Lots of code crosses my desk that is "fixed" and somehow doesn't work because
of that piece of kryptonite in my pocket.

-John

Software QA Engineer
GTE Internetworking
Burlington, MA, USA