RE: globbing bug, 3.0.6

> On Apr 27,  3:11pm, Trond Eivind=?iso-8859-1?q?_Glomsr=F8d?= wrote:
> } Subject: Re: globbing bug, 3.0.6
> }
> } Chmouel Boudjnah <chmouel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> }
> } > it's the POSIX standard behavior when locale setting is set.
> }
> } And that's horribly broken IMHO. At least, I think it's broken in
> } shell expansion
>
> I don't want to change this in 3.0.8 unless it's also
> changing in 3.1.7
> or soon thereafter.  What's the verdict on this one, folks?
> Apparently
> bash behaves as zsh does now, but that's not a conclusive argument.

That's general question - how far is compatibility with current Unix
standards important? For better or for worse - current behaviour is one
of the requirements. The problem is (I can go into more details if
needed) Zsh in current form does not and *can* not support full i18n as
specified in docs (this applies to such obscure things as "collate
elements" e.g.). So, the ultimate question is - should we aim at full
POSIX/SUS/... compatibility, at least as an option (that may need
substantial rewrite), or drop it in favour of more "user friendliness".

Now, with much more powerful regular expressions, I even agree - for
interactive shell plain ASCII collating may be more appropriate - and
scripts should use [[:class:]] form anyway.

-andrej