RE: cvs [update aborted]: reading from server: Protocol error

On Sat, 6 May 2000, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > I'm using SOCKS5 patched CVS 1.10.8. I can do login and I see with
> > tcpdump that it really tries to contact at least SOCKS server in
> > update - with the above message.
> >

> Hmm ... is it the valid CVS response (after tcpdump -x)?
>
> bor@itsrm2% xxd -r -p /tmp/foo.1 | less
> E^@^@3^@^@5^FtÚá)xP^XÒ^@^Oa^@^@I LOVE Y

Yes, this is valid response (just look through cvs source :-) The problem
is SOCKS - I once compiled cvs with SOCKS5 and lost modifications. Now I
tried to do it once more - without success; I tried it both with 1.10 and
1.10.8 with basically the same results. Obviously, something more is
needed than just including socks.h and compiling with -DSOCKS.

When I'm back, I probably try to make real patch for CVS+SOCKS stuff
... currently, I just restored old copy that works.

-andrej