Re: PATCH: expansion

Wayne Davison wrote:

> I assume that should be spelled "subst-globs-only".  I can't get this
> style to work for me.  If I only set subst-globs-only (without anything
> like "glob" set), it does nothing.  If I also set "glob", it expands
> tildes.

For subst-globs-only to be useful, you will want to set both substitute
and glob as well. What it does is allow substitutions only when globbing
is going to do something so if you type cd $HOME/<tab>, $HOME will not
be expanded but if you type echo $HOME/*<tab> it will be because the
expansion is necessary for the globbing to work.

Whether this is something that you want I don't know. For me, it made
the behaviour better but still a long way from the way I'd like it to
be.

Glob expansion including tilde expansion was the final annoyance that
made me stop using _expand altogether.

Oliver Kiddle