Re: wish for a colored completion system

> It's the normal way of configuring things for the new completion
> system and I definitely think colouring should be done like all other
> setup for it. The `=pat=col' syntax was partly chosen because we
> (well, some people here) wanted the possibility to use their $LS_COLOR
> for zsh, too. That left us not too many syntax extensions to use.

It's perfectly possible to write a front-end to compile styles, though,
which you give command names, colours, patterns, etc., and which produces
the zstyle command.  It's not really suitable for sticking in compinstall
at the moment since it needs quite a lot of work to handle non-default
contexts in a natural way.  You can specify a context at the moment, but
it's a bit bemusing for the average user who hasn't spent their weekends
wading through the manual, and it would be better to make it easier to
change the context from within the normal menu hierarchy rather than going
back to the top level each time.  Plus it ought to be called
`compconfigure', but there were things of that nature at the time.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cambridge Silicon Radio, Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,