Re: PATCH: expansion

Sven Wischnowsky wrote:

> Hm, do you want it to ever expand tildes at all?

Not particularly. I wouldn't mind if it only did straight after the
tilde reference like expand-or-complete does for parameters but it would
have to be intelligent enough to see if it could be a partial reference
to a longer named directory. Whatever the completion does, it would also
be useful to be able to bind ^X~ to expand tildes.

> We could add more fine-grained control over the kinds of substitutions tried.

I think we should add fine-grained control though I fear it isn't easy
to do. It's a pity that the nearest I can get the the behaviour I want
is not by using _expand.

> Does anyone have other ideas for conditions when to expand or not?
> Let's collect them.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is the same thing I was
saying about tilde expansions with parameter substitutions: if I had a
$MAIL and $MAILPATH parameter, $MAIL<tab> should do completion and not
expansion. To a certain extent, this is what you might get if you had
the _expand completer after _complete if it wasn't for the fact that
completion would generally not give expansion a chance.

Oliver