Re: A couple completion glitches

On Jun 24, 12:54pm, Wayne Davison wrote:
} Subject: A couple completion glitches
}
} I've noticed that the new completion system won't ever complete a name
} that matches the $fignore list, even if it is the only completion
} possible.

Yes, that's correct.  To get the new completion system to act like the
old one, you need something like

    zstyle ':completion:*:all-files' ignored-patterns \*$^fignore

} Secondly, there seems to be an inconsistency in the handling of glob
} characters.  For instance:
}
}     % autoload -U compinit
}     % compinit -D
}     % zstyle ':completion:*' completer _expand _complete
}     % bindkey '^i' complete-word
}     % cd ~
}     % touch foo{1..3}
}     % ls ~/foo*<tab>
}
} ...and nothing happens!

I was about to say that you need to set the suffix style, but that does
not work either.

Hmm; looks like there's a bug in `zstyle -T', though I have no idea how
that crept in.  Look here:

zagzig% zstyle -L
zstyle ':completion:*' completer _expand _complete
zstyle ':completion:*:expand:*' suffix yes
zagzig% zstyle -t :completion::expand::: suffix && echo suffix is set
suffix is set
zagzig% zstyle -T :completion::expand::: suffix && echo suffix not set
suffix not set

It shouldn't be possible for them both to return true.

} One more inconsistency results from the same setup, and this expansion:
}
}     % ls foo?<tab>
}
} In my mind, I would like it to always order the full expansion and the
} original string into the same places, regardless of ASCII order (to
} make it more consistent).  Perhaps always put the multi-item expansion
} first and the original string last?

This could be accomplished by having _expand put the original string in
its own compadd group.  That means a bit of restructuring of _expand to
store the original string separately until it is known whether there are
any other expansions possible.