Re: adding a toplevel zsh.spec.in file

Bart Schaefer (schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> I agree that these don't do much harm, but this is bad:
>
> }   HISTSIZE=1000
> }   HISTFILE=~/.zshhistory
> }   SAVEHIST=1000
>
> Please don't mess with the shape of my history or the location of any of
> my dotfiles.

Why is this messing with your preferences?  It's only setting a
default which each user can override, surely?

> } Now here's a candidate for StartupFiles/RedHat/zshrc.  Anything badly
> } wrong?
>
> Yes.  Don't screw with my fpath and don't autoload functions for me.

Again, I must be missing something because I don't see why you
describe this as messing with /your/ fpath when at that stage you (the
user) haven't made any changes to it.  You are still free to set it to
whatever you want, aren't you?  The only possible problem I can
envisage is that something gets autoloaded which you didn't want to
be, but if you didn't want it autoloaded, you won't be using it
anyway.  What am I missing?

> Your assumptions about where under my home directory there might be
> functions are wrong,

I wanted to err on the side of convenience.  If those directories
exist, the likelihood is that they contain stuff which the user will
want to use.  If they don't, they don't get included.  What's the
harm?

> and if your RPM is built correctly there shouldn't be anything
> useful in /usr/doc/zsh*/Functions -- the only things that could be there
> are leftovers from some 3.0.x-y RPM, which you don't want to pick up.

Yep, this is a remnant from old code.

> I won't call the aliases "badly" wrong, but I object to them anyway,

I'm curious now.  Why?

> and I'd just as soon not have all that crap in my prompt, thanks.

Just another default, surely?

I have a nasty feeling I've missed a key point here.