two sets of modules under /usr/local/lib/zsh ?

Okay, I haven't been keeping up with the list since 3.1.6, so this may be a
stupid question, but why are there two sets of modules under
/usr/local/lib/zsh?  There seems to be a set under 3.1.9, and then another,
larger, set under 3.1.9/zsh.

Looking through the NEWS and the mailing list archives, I see the modules
were moved from the version dir to the zsh subdir, and the ones in the top
directory are apparently called "alias modules".  However, what really
baffles me, is that they all appear to be the same file:

   % cd /usr/local/zsh/3.1.9
   % sum *.so
   33949     5 cap.so
   33949     5 clone.so
   33949     5 compctl.so
   33949     5 complete.so

And I guess I'm wondering, if these are only for backwards compatibility,
(a) do I need them, if I never used paths for modules anywhere, and (b) if
say I do want them, could they not instead be just symlinks to the
respective module under the zsh subdir?  Ie:

   % cd /usr/local/zsh/3.1.9
   % ls -l *.so
   lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   other   10 Sep  8 23:39 cap.so -> zsh/cap.so
   lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   other   10 Sep  8 23:39 clone.so -> zsh/clone.so
   lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   other   10 Sep  8 23:39 compctl.so -> zsh/compctl.so
   lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   other   10 Sep  8 23:39 complete.so -> zsh/complete.so

Or, at the very least, have the module files in that toplevel dir all
hardlinked together, since they all appear to be the same file anyway.
Or am I missing something?

I probably wouldn't ever notice or care, except that I'm building a Solaris
pkg to install across all our machines, and the prototype file gets a bit
confusing with two of every module in there.  If I can make them symlinks,
or hardlinks, it'll make it all cleaner and easier to deal with. :)

Also, I guess I'm a little curious about it all, since the new path:
   /usr/local/zsh/3.1.9/zsh/cap.so

seems a little unnecessarily redundant, with two "zsh"'s in there.

--
Will Day     <PGP mail preferred>     OIT / O&E / Technical Support
willday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx            Georgia Tech, Atlanta 30332-0715