Re: `jobs | wc -l' => 0 ... bug?

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 04:18:10PM +0100,
Adam Spiers <adam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Bostjan Muller <neonatus@xxxxxxxxxxxx> -----
>
> Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:09:31 +0100
> To: Adam Spiers <adam@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: the power of zsh
> From: neonatus@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Bostjan Muller)
>
> [snip]
>
> Only one more thing.. I used to include a command in my prompt, that displayed
> the number of background processes running I got the number with the following
> command:
> jobs | wc -l | tr -d " "
> but in zsh wc does not seem to get any input:
> $ jobs
> [1]  - suspended  mc
> [3]  + suspended  mc
>
> $ jobs | wc -l
>       0
>
> Where in bash I get this:
> $ jobs
> [1]-  Stopped                 /usr/bin/mc $*
> [2]+  Stopped                 /usr/bin/mc $*
>
> $ jobs | wc -l
>       2
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> This is a bug, surely?

Well, it's not what one would expect (and the section about "jobs" in
"man zshbuiltins" doesn't mention such behaviour), so you might call it
a bug.

Of course, you can still use $jobstates for many things. Tried that?

Ciao,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler Email:   jean-luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     | LCARS - Linux