Re: 4.0.1-pre-4

Bart said to send this to zsh-workers, so here it is :)

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On May 15,  8:06am, Matthew Landis wrote:
> } Subject: 4.0.1-pre-4
> }
> } I apologize if this isn't a suitable question to ask here
>
> No, this is exactly the right place.
>
> } I installed 4.0.1-pre-4 yesterday and couldn't get tab completion to work.
>
> First question:  Did "make check" work when you ran it in the build
> directory?  (Or did you install prepackaged binaries from somewhere?)

I ran make check and it failed on a decent number tests
I ran make clean, configure, and make again and examined all of the output
and saw nothing that looked suspicious.
The errors from make check are as follows:

--------------------------

./A01grammar.ztst: starting.
Test ./A01grammar.ztst failed: bad status 1, expected 0 from:
  echo f*
  noglob echo f*
Error output:
ZTST_execchunk:2: no matches found: f*
Was testing: `noglob' precommand modifier
./A01grammar.ztst: test failed.

--------------------------------------

Test ./A04redirect.ztst failed: bad status 1, expected 0 from:
  rm -f *
  touch out1 out2
  print All files >*
Error output:
ZTST_execchunk:2: no such file or directory:
Was testing: setup multio with globbing
./A04redirect.ztst: test failed.

--------------------------------------

./B01cd.ztst: starting.
*** /tmp/zsh.ztst.out.27380     Wed May 16 10:13:54 2001
--- /tmp/zsh.ztst.tout.27380    Wed May 16 10:13:54 2001
***************
*** 1,2 ****
! /home/mlandis/zsh-4.0.1-pre-4/Test/cdtst.tmp/real
  /home/mlandis/zsh-4.0.1-pre-4/Test/cdtst.tmp/real
--- 1,2 ----
! .
  /home/mlandis/zsh-4.0.1-pre-4/Test/cdtst.tmp/real
Test ./B01cd.ztst failed: output differs from expected as shown above for:
 setopt chaselinks
 cd cdtst.tmp/sub/fake &&
 pwd &&
 print $PWD
Was testing: Resolving symbolic links with chaselinks set
./B01cd.ztst: test failed.

----------------------------------

./C02cond.ztst: starting.
Test ./C02cond.ztst failed: bad status 1, expected 0 from:
  char=(/dev/tty*([1]))
  [[ -c $char && ! -c $block ]]
Error output:
ZTST_execchunk:2: no matches found: /dev/tty*([1])
Was testing: -c cond
./C02cond.ztst: test failed.

---------------------------------

./D02glob.ztst: starting.
Test ./D02glob.ztst failed: bad status 137, expected 0 from:
  ( regress_absolute_path_and_core_dump )
Was testing: exclusions regression test
./D02glob.ztst: test failed.

---------------------------------

./D04parameter.ztst: starting.
*** /tmp/zsh.ztst.out.27647     Wed May 16 10:19:07 2001
--- /tmp/zsh.ztst.tout.27647    Wed May 16 10:19:07 2001
***************
*** 1,2 ****
! * boringfile evenmoreboringfile boringfile evenmoreboringfile
! boringfile evenmoreboringfile
--- 1,2 ----
! *
!
Test ./D04parameter.ztst failed: output differs from expected as shown
above for:
  str1='*'
  print $str1 ${~str1} $~str1
  setopt globsubst
  print $str1
  unsetopt globsubst
Was testing: ${~...} and globsubst
./D04parameter.ztst: test failed.

-----------------------------

(i lost the first few lines of this one)

! DI:{dir1}
! DI:{dir2}
! FI:{file1}
! FI:{file2}
! line: {: dir1/}{}
! line: {: dir2/}{}
! line: {: file1}{}
! line: {: file2}{}
! line: {: dir1/}{}
! line: {: dir2/}{}
--- 1,7 ----
  line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
! line: {: }{}
Test ./Y01completion.ztst failed: output differs from expected as shown
above for:
  comptest $': \t\t\t\t\t\t\t'
Was testing: directories and files
./Y01completion.ztst: test failed.

-----------------------------

./Y02compmatch.ztst: starting.
*** /tmp/zsh.ztst.out.28186     Wed May 16 10:19:18 2001
--- /tmp/zsh.ztst.tout.28186    Wed May 16 10:19:18 2001
***************
*** 1,3 ****
  line: {tst }{}
- COMPADD:{_tst:compadd: unknown match specification character `z'}
- INSERT_POSITIONS:{}
--- 1 ----
Test ./Y02compmatch.ztst failed: output differs from expected as shown
above for:
 test_code z: list1
 comptest  $'tst \t'
Was testing: Match Error for "z:"
./Y02compmatch.ztst: test failed.

---------------------------------------

./Y03arguments.ztst: starting.
*** /tmp/zsh.ztst.out.28200     Wed May 16 10:19:21 2001
--- /tmp/zsh.ztst.tout.28200    Wed May 16 10:19:22 2001
***************
*** 1,11 ****
! line: {tst arg1 }{}
! line: {tst arg1 }{}
! line: {tst arg1 }{}
! line: {tst arg1 }{}
! line: {tst r}{}
! line: {tst x}{}
! line: {tst x }{}
! MESSAGE:{no more arguments}
! line: {tst x y }{}
! MESSAGE:{no more arguments}
--- 1,9 ----
! line: {tst }{}
! line: {a}{}
! line: {ar}{}
! line: {arg}{}
! line: {arg1}{}
! line: {r}{}
! line: {x}{}
! line: {x }{}
! line: {x y }{}
Test ./Y03arguments.ztst failed: output differs from expected as shown
above for:
 tst_arguments ':desc1:(arg1)'
 comptest $'tst \t\C-wa\t\C-war\t\C-warg\t\C-warg1\t\C-wr\t\C-wx\t \ty \t'
Was testing: one non-option argument
./Y03arguments.ztst: test failed.

-----------------------------------

> (Note that you must "make" before "make check", the check target does
> not rebuild the binary.)
>
> What operating system and compiler do you have?
debian 2.2 with a 2.4.2 kernel
gcc 2.95.2

> I'm going to jump ahead a bit:
>
> } --------------
> } In addition, the * and ? wildcards do not work.  If I do a "ls *" it prints
> } a "ls: : No such file or directory" for each file that * would match.  The ?
> } wildcard just gives "no matches found" in all cases that I tried.
>
> Assuming you mean that wildcards don't work anywhere, even when you are
> not attempting completion, then something is very seriously wrong with
> your zsh build.  Failure of file globbing would explain most of the rest
> of the problems you describe.  Please try rebuilding from scratch --
> remove your entire old build tree and unpack the tar file again -- and
> if the problem persists send a description of your operating system and
> OS vendor, your compiler, the arguments you gave to "configure", etc. to
> <zsh-workers@xxxxxxxxxx>.

I removed the directory, reextracted the tarball, and just did configure /
make / make install

When that didn't fix anything, I tried doing the same with the code from
CVS with the same results

I am using debian 2.2 stable with a 2.4.2 kernel (i586), gcc 2.95.2, and
gave no arguments to configure.

> If that is not the problem, then:
>
> } When I run compinit, it seems to write its code to stdout
>
> What does "write its code to stdout" mean?  Do you actually see output of
> some kind on your terminal?

I think it writes the source code for the function.  It outputs a bunch of
zsh code to the screen, beginning with:
compdump () {
        # undefined
        builtin autoload -XU
}
then there's the definition of compinit and then followed by the above
except with compinstall instead of compdump.
It outputs all of that to the terminal when i do
autoload -U compinit
compinit

Before I run compinit, if I try to tab-complete nothing ("ls <tab>"), it
etc), the command line will begin to look like "ls / / / / / /".  Once I
do an autoload -U compinit; compinit, the tab key will do nothing.  Trying
to complete a word ("zsh<tab>") either before or after compinit has no
effect.  The * wildcards have the same behavior as described elsewhere in
this email both before and after the compinit.

> } .zcompdump is the following after I run compinit:
> } --------------
> } #files: 372
> } _comps=(
> } )
> } _services=(
> } )
> }
> } _patcomps=(
> } )
> }
> } _postpatcomps=(
> } )
> }
> } _compautos=(
> } )
> }
> }
> } autoload -U
>
> What do you see if you run the command "compaudit"?
>
> The above is exactly what I get from running "compinit -i" when NONE of
> the completion directories is considered to be secure by compaudit.  If
> compaudit complains, you probably either want to fix the permissions on
> those directories, or else use "compinit -u".

compaudit outputs nothing

> --
> Bart Schaefer                                 Brass Lantern Enterprises
> http://www.well.com/user/barts              http://www.brasslantern.com
>
> Zsh: http://www.zsh.org | PHPerl Project: http://phperl.sourceforge.net

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Matt