Re: Mandrake 8.0 - compinit in /etc/zshrc

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> One possibility might be not to put the code directly into the skel file.
> Put it in, say, /etc/zsh.d/compinit.

This is much more sensible. Trying to modify existing user's .zshrc
files would be fraught with problems and bound to irritate some users.

Clint Adams wrote:

> You could conceivably check from the global startup scripts, or
> from the initial /etc/skel/.z*, whether or not a dotfile upgrade
> is in order.

What you could do, from the global .zlogin, is have something like:
if [[ /etc/skel/.zshrc -nt ~/.zshrc ]]; then
  echo Warning: skeleton .zshrc has changed
  touch ~/.zshrc  # display above message only once
fi

That way, old users would be alerted to the change and could update
their own .zshrc if they wanted.

Maybe we should allow zsh to be given some shell code at compile time
which would then be run at startup along with all the dot files. There'd
need to be a way to disable it (similar to the norcs option) and we'd
need to work out when it would fit in with the order of everything else.
It'd be ideal for compinit and any future zsh features which might be
done in shell code.

Oliver

http://www.messagelabs.com/stats.asp