Re: PATCH: "make check" with libzsh (e.g. FreeBSD)

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> In zsh-workers/14451, Andrej wrote:
> }
> } On Wed, 23 May 2001, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> }
> } > x86 FreeBSD 4.2-stable
> } >
> } > make check yields several
> } > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libzsh-4.0.1-pre-5.so" not found
> } >
> } > It seems that make check uses a `make install.modules' but libzsh is
> } > installed as part of `make install.bin'. We need to fix this but I'm not
> } > sure I fully understand this part of the Makefiles. Isn't this an issue
> } > for cygwin?
> } >
> }
> } No, it was there long before. I suspect, that tests were never run on a
> } system that needed libzsh (or already installed version was silently
> } used).
> }
> } Exactly on Cygwin it runs correctly, because it tries first to find DLL in
> } the same directory as executable.
>
> Does this patch fix it?  Unfortunately $(DLLD) is the only reasonable
> symbol to test that is available in Test/Makefile; $(LIBZSH) is defined in
> Src/Makefile.in only.  So this may needlessly export LD_LIBRARY_PATH on a
> system that does not require libzsh, but that should be harmless, right?

It is harmless all right. The actual problem is interaction between
LD_RUN_PATH encoded in executable and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I.e. when two
libraries exist, which one is used. It may result in obscure test
failures.

The only proper workaround is to recompile zsh with different LD_RUN_PATH
value. Or use libtool - I guess, it is quite usable now. If it supports
Cygwin (there were issues) then it supports at least the same systems as
zsh internal tweaks.

-andrej