Re: autoloading from deleted wordcode digest files

Clint Adams wrote:

> I'm making .zwc files using zcompile -U -M.
> zsh will keep these files opened and mmapped even
> after they are deleted, but efforts to autoload
> functions within will fail.
>
> I want the deleted file to be searched if the function
> is not found on disk.  I assume that this can be accomplished
> by including the filename in struct funcdump, and using
> that as an identifier should the files be deleted after
> mmapping.

Somehow I think the OS should ensure that such files can't be deleted
(by renaming them as it does for the .nfs* files or something).

Hm, things could break terribly if mapped function files disappear and I
don't see a completely satisfying solution.  Searching again for the zwc
file works for functions that haven't been loaded yet, but what about
those that were used already?

> Will this break anything?

This certainly depends on how you write it ;-)  And probably on the way
the system handles all this.

My first reaction would be to print a warning, suggesting to re-start
the shell and mark the funcdump structure to not be used again.  But
that's only one step back from re-searching and -opening it, as you
suggest.

In short: hm, shrug, dunno.

Bye
  Sven