Re: New behaviour for HIST_IGNORE_SPACE option

[Moved to -workers]

On Jun 19, 11:52pm, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
} Subject: New behaviour for HIST_IGNORE_SPACE option
}
} It seems that the behaviour of HIST_IGNORE_SPACE has changed in
} zsh 4.0.1, and I don't like the new one.

Sorry to have let this languish so long without a reply.  We did think
about putting an option in for the old behavior and it's mostly my fault
that there isn't one.

In the course of considering possible workarounds, I discovered that the
new behavior has in fact introduced a few bugs.  If you use `print -s'
between commands -- e.g., from precmd, or from completion as happens
with _complete_debug -- while there is a history entry pending space-
deletion, the history becomes garbled:  The entry that was added with
`print -s' appears twice, once on either side of the one that should
have been deleted, and the deletion never happens.

It seems to me that `print -s' should simply perform the deletion at
once, replacing the pending entry with the new one.

On a prossibly-unrelated note, `print -s' with no arguments results in
"BUG: attempt to free storage at invalid address" when the next command
is executed:

schaefer[514] print -s
schaefer[517] echo foo
BUG: attempt to free storage at invalid address
foo
schaefer[519] allopt hist
appendhistory         on
banghist              on