Re: [4.0.2 bug] commands not written to history

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 03:41:19 +0000, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> } because I ignore immediate dups:
> }
> } Shell 1: true a
> } Shell 2: true b
> } Shell 1: true a
> } Shell 1: true c
> }
> } Though after the last "true a", "true c" has been typed immediately
> } after it, the HISTFILE contains
> }
> } true a
> } true b
> } true c
> }
> } Is it possible to have immediate dups in the HISTFILE, but not in
> } the shell history?
>
> Not for duplicates occurring in the same shell.  That is, you might get
> two `true a' in a row written out by different shells -- though they'd
> collapse to one when the $HISTFILE exceeded $SAVEHIST lines by a large
> enough margin to cause zsh to re-read/write it -- but in any given shell,
> the duplicate is thrown away before the check for unsaved commands is
> done.

What I wanted to say is: Could we have an option so that dups are
ignored in the shell history but not in $HISTFILE, so that we couldn't
have the above behaviour (useful when INC_APPEND_HISTORY is set)?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des