Compiling zsh-4.0.2 on Mac OS X

I'm trying to compile zsh-4.0.2 on Mac OS X (10.0.4). I guess the linker is pretty weird (it's from Apple, not GNU). Here's where make fails:

cc  -s  -o zsh main.o  `cat stamp-modobjs`   -lm  -lc
/usr/bin/ld: can't use -s with input files containg indirect symbols (output file must contain at least global symbols, for maximum stripping use -x)
make[1]: *** [zsh] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

Has anyone gotten zsh-4 to link on Darwin/Mac OS X? If not, any ideas what I could try to get this to work?

Wes Morgan