Re: Menu-selection screen refresh slowness

Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Feb 21, 12:54pm, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> }
> } Every configuration item in pine can be used on the command line like a
> } normal option. [...]
> }
> } As an aside, _pine could perhaps use two calls to _arguments so that
> } you can select between the two sets of options with a tag-order.
>
> I was just trying out this completion while using ssh over my dialup PPP
> link, and I have to say that the screen refresh behavior of the menu-
> selection display is absolutely appalling.  It redraws the entire listing
> every time you move to a new selection -- which, on a mid-speed link with
> a completion listing that fills a 64-line xterm, means a full second or
> more every time you press a cursor key.
>
> "zed -f" on a long function, by contrast, works about as well as any editor,
> except on scrolling of very long lines.

Yes, I know... please remember how menu selection came into existence,
it started as a hack, actually. I can see a solution and maybe I'll
even try to write it -- being stuck on the other things I'm thinking
about.

> Also, I found a bug, but I'm not sure how to give instructions to repeat
> it.  When I got to the end of the (two screenfuls of) pine options and
> pressed down-arrow, which normally cycles back to the top of the column,
> the selection instead moved up exactly one line.  Down-arrow would just
> cycle between those two choices thereafter.

Hm. I'll try to look out for this.

> Aside:  It'd be really nice of beginning-of-buffer/end-of-buffer worked
> in menu-selection.

In which way do you want this to differ from what beggining-of-history
and end-of-history do in menu selection? To the first/last line of the
currently visibla part of the list? Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

> It'd be even nicer if searching worked.

Yes, I've been dreaming of this, too. Tricky. Especially when trying
not to re-implement everything.

Bye
  Sven

--