zsh 4.0.4 on Solaris 2.6, shared (dynamic) library issues

i am not subscribed to this list.

anyway, whilst compiling zsh 4.0.4 on a Solaris 2.6 system,

[jhriv@chao:~]% uname -a
SunOS chao.ucsd.edu 5.6 Generic_105181-26 sun4u sparc

i was having a very hard time getting the ``make check'' to complete. i
narrowed it down to the zsh/zpty module not being loaded. further
research indicated that _no_ dynamic modules were being loaded.

eventually, i found the problem in the configure script: it thinks that
the proper flag for shared libraries is a -G, however, for my version of
gcc

[jhriv@chao:~]% gcc --version
2.95.2

    the proper flag is -shared.

when i changed the line:
solaris*|sysv4*|esix*) DLLDFLAGS="${DLLDFLAGS=-G}" ;;
solaris*|sysv4*|esix*) DLLDFLAGS="${DLLDFLAGS=-shared}" ;;

./config.status --recheck was able to determine that no underscore was
required, built most everything as a dynamic module, all checks passed
with flying colours, and my new shell is only 4.0k big.

oh, i did have to temporarily set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/Src for the make
check to even see the libzsh-4.0.4.so library. once i did that,
everything was great.

i have no idea how to change autoconf's mind about the -G/-shared flag
issue.

-john