Re: posix compliance

A quick report from UseNIX: One thing Jordan Hubbard of Apple mentioned was
that our positional parameters ($1, $2, etc.) are assignable whereas they are
not in bash (Chet Ramey, who was also present, confirmed this). The bash
behavior is apparently what POSIX specifies. This was one of the things which
kept Apple from keeping zsh as their /bin/sh, according to him.  Personally I
thought his defense was rather weak: they tested with 3.0.8 and didn't bother
to give the zsh developers any feedback. He also again complained about
executable size and footprint (zsh vs. bash), which I think was addressed
earlier without them giving us any feedback.

Otoh, the next version of OS X will have an updated zsh 4.0.4.

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA