Re: Occasional 'job table full or recursion limit exceeded'

On Aug 28, 12:31am, Felix Rosencrantz wrote:
} Subject: Occasional 'job table full or recursion limit exceeded'
}
} There are times I will see the following error in my long running active
} shells:
} My job table is not full.

The message is slightly misleading.  Many built-in shell constructs (such
as "while" and other loops) allocate job table entries even when running
in the current shell, for purposes of simulated signal handling (e.g., so
you can stop the entire loop with ^Z).  That's what the "recursion limit"
part is talking about.

Since much of the completion system is implemented as nested loops over
the set of tags, the set of possible matches, etc., it's conceivable that
some completions are running out of job table entries.  The size of the
table is only 50 unless `configure --enable-max-jobtable-size' is used,
and (having seen a number of _complete_debug call traces) I can believe
that you'd reach that.

We should probably consider increasing the default MAXJOB value.