Re: Cant fg a suspended su (4.1.0-dev-7)

Peter Whaite <peta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Philippe Troin said:
> >
> > Mrm, that's not GNU su. Or it's a very heavily patched version of GNU
> > su. I've check shellutils 2.0 and it does a straight exec(), and does
> > not leave a parent process like seen above...
>
> Well thats strange.  We have (RedHat 7.1)
>
> % rpm -q -f /bin/su
> sh-utils-2.0-13
> % rpm --verify -f /bin/su
> %

Not really strange: shellutils (and GNU su) do not support PAM. Redhat
probably PAMified su and leaves a master process around to implement
the PAM session logout.

> On a RedHat 7.2 system we have sh-utils-2.0.11-5 and su doesnt exec
> itself away there either.
>
> > Peter, can you confirm that this patch makes zsh perform as expected
> > with your su?
>
> Yes it does work.

I assume you've tested both suspend and exec?

Bart, can you check-in the patch in CVS?

Thanks,
Phil.